Thursday 9 August 2012

Katie Taylor Wins Gold

I am totally opposed to the sport of boxing because of the danger to the human body.

When Muhammed Ali, formerly Cassius Clay, boxed Sonny Liston I got up in the middle of the night to listen to the broadcast on radio.  It was exciting - too exciting - and I got a thrill out of Ali's win.  But Ali got seriously damaged by boxing.

I congratulate Katie Taylor who has just won her gold medal in the Olympics.

In spite of my opposition to boxing, my congratulations are full and wholehearted.

Like most other people in Ireland, I got a thrill out of her win - in spite of my best instincts.  I am happy for her moment of glory . I share in it.

But that ends my interest in Katie's boxing skills and achievements.

What I sincerely wish for her now is that she quits boxing before any long term damage is done to her or before she does any long-term damage to an opponent.

I wish her many years of happiness and joy throughout her life.


No comments: