Thursday 12 January 2012

Protest at the US Embassy re Guantanamo

Yesterday, my friend Colm Roddy and I went to the US  Embassy with our placards to protest against Guantanamo.

That obnoxious prison is still open in spite of Barack Obama's election promise to close it.
In the picture, Colm is in the orange suit. His sign reads:

CLOSE GUANTANAMO   END 10 YEARS ILLEGAL DETENTION & KILLING of SUSPECTS & INNOCENTS
Colm was on his knees for one hour of our 90 minute protest.

He had seen the Ambassador going to a restaurant across the road with two minders.  Later, they returned and, as they did, I stood where  he might see my sign. He peered at it as he came closer. It reads

10 YEARS OF ABUSE AND TORTURE    INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE STILL IN GUANTANAMO        SHAME ON YOU!      SHUT DOWN THIS HELL HOLE

Ambassador Dan Rooney stood before me and I said "Mr Rooney, I have a letter here for you", as I took it out of my pocket.  He turned his head away while one of his minders reacted slightly.  "Will you accept a letter from me?" I asked.  Again, he turned away and pointed to a minder saying "Give it to him" , which I did.

The letter and the envelope were handwritten by me on my way to the Embassy.
The letter read:

"We are protesting at the US Embassy today on the tenth anniversary of the opening of Guantanamo prison.  President Obama gave a solemn undertaking to close it - why is it still open?
The shame of the Bush era clings to your President and will take many years or decades to undo.
With best personal wishes  Justin Morahan"







No comments: